What is meant by mechanical design
Mechanical Design is the set of activities necessary to define the construction methods of an industrial product or a machine.
Whatever the product to be developed, it is a fundamental step in the development process of industrial products.
This phase is fundamental for the definition of the project as it is the moment that transforms the project from the idea to the working drawings.
Before starting the mechanical design steps it is necessary to have all the project specifications.
Variations, revisions and modifications during construction could compromise the entire project.
In these cases it is necessary to re-define development times and costs for the entire project.
The engineering process is composed of key elements:
- definition of all specification
- feasibility analysis
- analysis and review of technical requirements;
- virtual layout and simulation;
- prototyping and series-0;
- prototype optimization;
- small series and mass production.
The correct execution of all development steps contribute to the achievement of the project objectives.
Mechanical design is a fundamental step, full of decisions made by the design team according to the objectives shared with the customer.
The key points and decisions are very numerous: from the design software, materials to be used, production technologies, assembly of parts, execution times.
Each choice will be essential for the success of the main purpose: to build all the operational steps for the development of a new product respecting the customer’s specifications.
The development process of an industrial product must follow well-defined phases in terms of the activities to be performed and the roles of the different operators.
In fact, in carrying out the project, mechanical design must always interact with other specializations, such as electrical, electronic, fluidic design, etc. in order to arrive at a complete, functional, safe, efficient and cost-effective final project.
The phases of the design
The players in the mechanical design phase are technical-engineering operators.
For the success of the finished product, it is essential to divide all the operations into distinct, consequential and constantly monitored steps.
The phases that make up the mechanical design process are:
- Collection of specifications: this phase consists in in-depth sharing of project specifications with the customer, analysis of the competition, regulations and patents, ergonomic constraints.
- Definition of the concept: this point is studied by the designer on the basis of the dimensions, internal components, electronics, movements and use of the product.
- Preliminary design: in this step we establish the rough sizing, layout and search for any commercial components.
- Executive design: it consists in examining all the components of the project. The designer carries out the design of each individual part according to the chosen production technologies.
- Prototype realization: during the mechanical design or at the end of it it is essential to create a complete and functional prototype. This step allows you to validate all the choices and mechanical design steps before starting production.
In all these phases it is essential to be able to retrace all the steps, to be able to trace the main choices and the related motivations.
How to turn your idea into a project
When we have an idea in mind and want to transform it into a real, tangible and above all sustainable project, it is essential to follow a method and respect all the phases with every single peculiarity.
Making every single phase operational to verify if what we have thought of is feasible in terms of feasibility, producibility and project costs.
Another very important element is team building. All stages are sequential and there must be no watertight compartments.
Having a partner who knows all the steps and who is able to intervene promptly reduces the risk of errors, wasted time and redesign costs.
Mechanical design case studies
Among the case studies we can mention the BIODECONTAMINATION DEVICE. The client’s goal was to develop a model customized in form and function.
For this project we have followed all the steps from the aesthetic study of the product, mechanical design, prototyping, molds and molding for plastic parts.
Our experience is consolidated in various industrial sectors. In 20 years of activity we have more than 500 projects developed in the medical, safety devices, household appliances, automotive, defense and aeronautical fields.
Why contact us
Our strong point is the knowledge in theoretical and practical terms of all the product development steps of an industrial product: from design to mass production.
This allows us to have a complete picture of the process, to interact optimally in each step.
Our designer knows perfectly the prototyping and production technologies for which he will be able to define criticalities.
This will allow him to work to optimize the engineering phases according to development costs and times.
In all cases where we follow the project in an advanced design stage, it is essential to carefully analyze the manufacturability of the parts.